Thursday, May 17, 2007

We're Addicted to Botox

By DIANA APPLEYARD and SADIE NICHOLAS
Last updated at 00:01am on 18th September 2006 on THE MAIL ON SUNDAY.


Lisa Jeynes admits she spends up to a £1,000 a year on Botox injections


For some, it can be a once-in-a-lifetime chance to turn back the clock and restore their former good looks.


For others, it seems, cosmetic surgery — particularly Botox — can turn into an obsession.

As a study reveals that four in ten people who use Botox feel compelled to do so repeatedly, Adam Searle, president of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), will tell a conference of surgeons this week that more patients are becoming "addicted" to surgery.

"Cosmetic surgery is potentially habit-forming," he says, adding that many patients may have imagined ugly body syndrome (also known as body dismorphic disorder), where they become obsessed by what they perceive as a defect in their appearance.


Dr Eileen Bradbury, a consultant psychologist at the Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, near Manchester, treats patients hooked on cosmetic procedures.


She says: "People can become addicted to the anticipation, the excitement and the attention they receive.


"There is a short-lived result of feeling fabulous, but after the post-procedure high, life goes back to normal and all the mundane problems return, so you need to go for another fix."

Here, Diana Appleyard and Sadie Nicholas talk to four women who can’t imagine life without Botox …


Jay Nicholls, 32, is a model and dancer and lives in Battle, East Sussex, with her son Harry, nine. Jay says:


"I've been having Botox every three months for the past two years at £500 a time. It’s completely addictive and I’ll definitely have the injections for the rest of my life. I don’t ever want lines again.


Even when I’ve not had the cash available, I’ve just put it on credit, because it’s so important for me to keep up with the injections.


I waited until my 30th birthday two years ago before succumbing to Botox because I knew that I would become addicted to the effects. I’d seen the colleagues and friends who’d had it and was so impressed that I wondered why anyone would want to go back to their old face.


Follow the link to continue reading this article, "We are addicted to Botox";on THE MAIL ON SUNDAY.

No comments: